Pages

Saturday, 15 August 2026

Central Italy's hills

I've just come back from Umbria Region in Central Italy. The weather was not too hot and humidity level wasn't high in the hills

As promised to Mandy , I post some photos that I took there while I was visiting two historic walled hill towns in Umbria Region. 


I noticed that many people from Norther Europe are interested in visiting such medieval village located in the hills. Glad to see they enjoyed that special corner of Italy. 


From the 30th of July to the 19th of August a historical event involving the town's four districs takes place in Montefalco, Central Italy. 


This part of Italy located in the Umbria's hills is famous for medieval streets, reinessance frescoes, delicious red wine and good olive oil.


Today, August 15, is the Assumption of Mary, a major national public holiday here in Italy. 
I hope you'll have a lovely weekend πŸ‰☀🌻

13 comments:

  1. ...and I wish you a wonderful weekend Giorgio and thanks for sharing these lovely storybook images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Montefalco is enchanting. Giorgio, you took beautiful photos.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giorgio, this is a beautiful post. I enjoy very much you sharing the places you go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Giorgio :)
    Really wonderful photos! Speaking of the Umbria region, I've only been to Assisi.
    My friend, I see from the photos you posted that Montefalco is enchanting!
    Giorgio, you wrote that today's Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is celebrated with great solemnity in Italy. In Poland, too. In Poland, we also call it the Feast of Our Lady of the Herbs. In churches, bouquets of ears of grain, herbs, flowers, and vegetables are blessed, giving thanks for the harvest.
    Giorgio, I send you greetings and wish you a good, pleasant new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you enjoyed that medieval town of the Umbria region.
      Interesting tradition about giving thanks for the harvest on the 15th of August.

      Have a nice new week too, Anna.

      Delete
  5. Es un lindo lugar. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos and those narrow pathways, when built way back the men that did the build would never imagine cars being about or buses. Assumption Day was yesterday here (time difference) and not a public holiday for us R Catholics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that the men who built those medieval pathways would never imagine cars or buses, but only men, women and horses. The good news is nowadays many local are planning to transform streets into pedestrian areas. Reallocating public space from vehicles to people improves safety, boosts local business, and cleans the air.

      Assumption Day on August 15 features grand evening firework shows in many Italian town.

      Delete
  7. Such a charming glimpse of Umbria, Giorgio! The hills look so inviting with that gentle summer weather, and Montefalco sounds full of history and life. Thank you for sharing the stunning photos and stories -- they really bring the place to life. Wishing you a joyful Assumption holiday and a lovely week ahead 🌿🍷✨

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I were walking those streets, I would be wondering what is around every corner! There is so much to see, the detail in the stone work, the flower pots, even the windows and doors all look so lovely. I see too, walking those hills would be a great workout for your heart, lungs and legs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the appreciation, Alexandra. Actually I enjoyed walking along those old alleys covered with cobblestones. As you mentioned, each stone tells us a story.

      Delete