Thursday, 1 October 2026

Pretend it's 1995

Regarding my previous post published on the 22nd Sept, I appreciate my blogging friends for sharing their thoughts about the importance of waste recycling. In addition, Mandy and Andrea underlined that still more work needs to be done on the recycling side.  

The above photo shows a recycling facilty for metal scrap. It's located close to Rome. Physical resources on Earth are finite and bound by ecological limits. That's why landfills are not a sustainable waste management option. In this perspective, Alexandra mentioned health risk related to the landfill located near a residential area in her town, as it has been burning for over three weeks. Easy to see how pollution connected to landfills may harm human health and ecosystems.  

The 2nd and the 3rd photos have nothing to do with environmental protection. The picture below shows a sign I saw it last week in a Rome's coffee shop. I saw it after I had noticed that most people were watching their mobile phone while they were travelling by the subway.


I hope you'll have a lovely October.


14 comments:


  1. That sign hits the nail on the head. I really hope that we humans start talking to each other more again. That would do us all good.

    Have a lovely evening, Giorgio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sign is amazing.
    We need to get back to 1995 and talk.
    It dismays me to see so many on their phones.
    Phones have their uses but not at the dinner table, which is a pet peeve of mine :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Jan. I've noticed that it is considered impolite to place our phone on the dinner table during a social meal.
      Greetings,
      G.

      Delete
  3. Debemos cuidar nos medio ambiente. . Te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  4. Landfill is becoming a big problem as town, cities run out of land and suitable places. I guess some genius person will figure it out, well I hope so. It's beyond me.
    Love that sign..lol. The sky is just amazing and beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Margaret, as finding new locations for landfills is increasingly difficult. I appreciate you sharing your point of view.

      Delete
  5. A thoughtful reflection on recycling and environmental responsibility, with the contrast of the café sign offering a wonderfully human touch at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I am in the company of others, my phone stays off and in my purse. I stay engaged with who ever I am spending time with.

    I have a question for you Giorgio and your followers: When you made time in your schedule to share with someone and they end up spending more time on their device than conversing with you, how do you address it? I experienced that recently and I did not know how to deal with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always do the same, Alexandra: my phone is always in my small backpack. And I don't like wearing crossbody bags designed to hold a phone.

      Regarding your question, I experienced it too, unfortunately. If I were to notice that someone watches his/her device while talking with me, I would interrupt my conversation. And many times he/she doesn't notice that I've suddenly stopped speaking.
      After a while, he/she asks: "what are we talking about?". He/she wouldn't remember your last words. He/she wouldn't sometimes remember the topic of the conversation.
      However, if I were to notice that someone is handling a mobile phone, I wouldn't start any conversation. In addition, if someone were to ask me a question while watching a mobile phone's screen, I wouldn't answer. But I would do so in a polite and respectful way.

      I appreciate you asking such question, Alexandra. I'll write down it in my next post.
      Greetings,
      G.

      Delete
  7. Hi Giorgio!
    I wouldn't want a waste landfill near my home and city. The reasons? Arson (there have been many such incidents in Poland recently), air pollution and fears of developing illnesses or allergies, and the worry that the air would smell bad.
    Best regards, Giorgio, and have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete