Sunday 22 September 2024

Autumnal equinox

Many people in the Northern part of my country are still dealing with the effects caused by the floods. The Prime Minister declared yesterday a state of emergency after devastating floods. 

The picture below has been sent by a friend of mine, Stefano. It shows the small village of Latera, located in the hills in Central Italy. This picture reminds me that towns and villages located in the hills can't be affected by flooding.

The problem is that all urban areas, located close to rivers, do not allow rain water to penetrate the soil. Consequently, driveways, streets, sidewalks, rooftops, and other surfaces collect stormwater and channel it into waterways. On the contrary, trees and other vegetation break the momentum of rain. 


The above picture shows a corner of Civitavecchia's port. In the past also this town was affected by floods.

Meanwhile, this Summer is going to an end, as the Autumnal equinox occurs from September 21st to 24th. During this period of the years daylight and dark hours are equal. This year the autumnal equinox occurs precisely on the 22nd September.

I hope you'll have a nice Autumn 🍂 🍁🌰🍇

15 comments:

  1. ...the flooding has been in the news here, take care and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support, Tom.
      Have a nice Sunday!

      Delete
  2. Hi Giorgio!
    My friend, I heard in the media about the flooding in Italy. I sympathize very much... I pray, today, while I was in church too, for the flood victims in Poland, Italy and other countries.
    The flood is a great tragedy. Now we have autumn, it will soon be winter, I sympathize very much with the flood victims...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for your kind support, my dear friend.

      Delete
  3. We have so much rain in Scotland there is always flooding, but not as bad as I've seen in Europe just now. We live quite high up in the valley so don't get much flooding from rain. I am not sure why this year has been so bad for raining here, I think we skipped summer!

    All the best for Autumn Giorgio. I am looking forward to getting some great colourful photos. Autumn presents us with such wonderful colours I think :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Ananka, as Autumn is a haven for photographers.

      Delete
  4. Eine traumhaft schöne Gegend. LG Romy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the appreciation and your kind words, Romy.
      Hope you'll have a nice new week ☀

      Delete

  5. A catastrophe.
    May the water recede soon.

    I wish you a nice start to autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your kind words. Thanks for that!

      Delete
  6. Tremendo lo de las inundaciones.Una parte de España también las está sufriendo. Buen otoño.
    Gracias por tu visita.Me llevo tu enlace
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even here in the UK some parts have experienced flooding earlier today and we have weather warnings for more rain to come!

    I always think the Autumn season is a nice one, but I hope the weather will improve for people to enjoy it safely outside.

    Wishing you a good week ahead.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Es una pena lo de las inundaciones. Te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete