Sunday 11 February 2024

The longest suspension bridge

 

There isn't any bridge between the Italian peninsula and its main island, Sicily. And this gap between mainland Italy and sicily is called the Strait of Messina, which is 3 km wide at its narrowest point. 
The main reason the bridge was never built is that this area is a very active seismic zone. 

In 2023 Italy's government agreed to the 12 Billion euros project and decided to build the bridge. It would be the longest suspension bridge in the world.

But many people think that this is just a waste of public funds, as this investment in the region is not considered to be worth. Not to mention that Italy has the second highest government debt in the EU (140.3 % of country's nominal GDP). 

How can the majority of the Italian government decide to build such bridge in one of the most seismically active area of the Mediterranean ?  The Strait of Messina is located between Etna and Stromboli, which are the two main active volcanoes in the Mediterranean. In addition, the 1908 Messina Strait earth-quake represents one of the worst seismic catastrophes in world history.

It's easy to see that the project would be useful for predators who are running multinational companies involved in construction. 

18 comments:

  1. ...sounds like a lot of money to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Giorgio,
    My friend, you wrote about the bridge. I have read quite a bit on the subject.
    I will tell you an interesting fact. In Poland (near me) a bridge was made in a field, but there was no... river. The river was to be made later. The river was not made. One of the crazy ideas of the communists.
    My friend, I salute you and I wish you a good new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! How can they build a bridge in a field where there is no river? That's really crazy! I have never heard before such a oddness!
      Thank you for your comment, Anna!

      Delete
  3. Thank you, dear friend, for telling about the Strait of Messina. I'm always interested in what you write about Italy. The Crimean Bridge was built in 2018-2020. The Crimean Bridge connected the Kerch Peninsula in Crimea with the Taman Peninsula in the Krasnodar Territory. Its length is 19 km. The construction of the bridge cost the treasury 228.3 billion rubles.
    Giorgio, thank you very much for your helpful comment in my post about Marinella Mondaini. You can read my answer to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Useful information about the Crimean bridge. Thank you for that!
      I'll read your answer on you your blog soon.
      Have a nice new week!

      Delete
  4. I forgot to write to you that the Kiev regime hates this bridge, since it connects Crimea with Russia. The Ukrainian Nazis had already bombed the bridge and were happy. The EU voted to transfer 5 billion to Ukraine and then Zelensky bought himself an apartment in Dubai. I wonder if he has already received this money or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Mr. Zelensky owns real estates in some corners of the world, such as Florida (USA), Tuscany (Italy), etc. ... sorry to hear he has just bought another one.

      Delete
    2. He also has a house in Egypt and an apartment in United Arab Emirates at the present time.

      Delete
  5. Your points about the proposed bridge over the Strait of Messina highlight some big questions.
    Sounds ambitious and requires a lot of money.

    Happy Monday, Giorgio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While Italy's policy-makers are building that expensive and dangerous bridge, in our country there is a shortage of beds in the emergency rooms and cardiology departments. Not to mention of schools and roads in some Southern regions of the Italian peninsula.

      Delete
  6. Giorgio!
    Giorgio on the occasion of tomorrow's St. Valentine's Day - in my opinion a great Holiday: love and friendship I send you warmest wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your kind words, Anna !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Giorgio
    Oops my comment just now and previously have disappeared, so too the one on your previous post. I think they may have gone in spam.
    This time I will try as anonymous :)

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello again Giorgio
    I am finding it best to comment as anonymous, for some reason blogger seems to like it better that way, I don't know why.

    I do wonder if this proposed bridge between the Strait of Messina
    will be built, it is a huge cost.

    One bridge I like is the Millau Viaduct
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millau_Viaduct

    I hope you are enjoying your February days.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your point of view about this proposed bridge between the Strait of Messina.

      Delete