Tuesday, 22 September 2026

Waste sorting

People support needed garbage collection service and waste sorting in the urban environment. But they sometimes oppose garbage areas being placed near their homes, due to fears of lower property values.


Considering alternative locations refers to the NIMBY phenomenon. Residents would accept garbage areas and infrastructure development, such as sewage and waste treatment systems, if they were built farther away. Considering alternative locations refers to the NIMBY phenomenon.
Is there the same social phenomenon in your country⁉️♻️🗑🚮🚯


This year astronomical autumn in the Northern hemisphere begins on 22/23 September with the Autumn equinox, rather than 24 September.

I wish all the members of our blogging community a lovely Autumn (maybe "fall" is the correct word in American English) 🍁

28 comments:

  1. ...recycling is a wonderful thing, but here much of our "recycling" goes to the landfill. Giorgio, enjoy your autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waste that can't be recycled must be turned into electricity or heat (waste-to-energy). I disagree on sending waste to a landfill.

      Delete
  2. Hi Giorgio. Of course, I support waste collection and recycling, but I wouldn't want landfills near my home. I wouldn't want them because I don't want dirty air or bad smells.
    Giorgio, regarding the other topic you raised—autumn—I can't stand autumn and winter! Wintertime is awful, too.
    Giorgio, sending you greetings from Poland—which is, unfortunately, rainy now (after some wonderful days leading up to yesterday)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I disagree on landfills, Anna, as that part of the territory would become permanently useless.
      Thank you for sharing your point of view.

      Delete
  3. Tom is correct. Wishing you and your family a wonderful fall season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waste collection and recycling is important.
    It is also important to give careful consideration as to where the bins and landfill sites are placed. The outcome so often pleases some and dismays others.

    Autumn/Fall is one of my favourite seasons.
    Leaves on the trees here in the UK are beginning to change colour.
    Many stores and garden centres have autumnal displays and with cooler days ahead the delicious aroma of soup comes from many kitchens :)

    Enjoy your Autumn days Giorgio.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favourite season too. Greetings!

      Delete
  5. En mi país aun estamos en días con mucho sol por el fenómeno del niño Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding El Nino phenomenon, which you mentioned, I've heard of unique bloom in Chile's Atacama desert located close to your country.

      Delete
  6. I'm very much in support of recycling, but I wouldn't like these containers in front of my house either. I don't think it's NIMBY - it's smelly; when glass is thrown in the container it can get rather loud and there could be pieces of glass on the ground. It can also attract rats. Those communal containers should be in a public space - maybe in a corner of a parking lot. In front of residences is not a good spot.
    And autumn - oh I love autumn. It's my favorite season with October being my favorite month. I hope you can enjoy a lovely fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this season too, Carola. Greetings!

      Delete
  7. The NIMBY phenomenon is familiar in Malaysia as well. Waste sorting is supported, but residents prefer facilities farther away.
    And while Europe welcomes autumn now, here we continue with our tropical rhythm of rain and sun.
    Enjoy your Fall days, Giorgio!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know if I would like those large bins placed permanently outside my home either.
    We recycle here in Tasmania, Australia - we have 3 bins, one for recycling the paper and objects that have the recycle emblem on them, one for waste as in peelings and things that can't be recycled, then one for green waste such as leaves, garden clippings etc.
    They are collected weekly if we put them out the front of the house on the nature strip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear to recycle waste in Tasmania. I think waste that can't be recycled must be turned into electricity or heat (waste-to-energy).

      Thanks for sharing information, Margaret.

      Delete
  9. I am wondering about your first photo, is there a little story to go along with it? Most people here in Canada use the word "fall" but not me, "Autumn" is such a pretty word!

    There is a landfill near residential areas in the south part of Calgary that has been burning for over three weeks, they say it is under control. This has created lots of concern and controversy.

    Happy Autumn Giorgio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Alexandra! I appreciate you sharing information about the two terms, Autumn and fall.

      Delete

  10. It works very well here in the city. Waste collection enjoys a high reputation in Vienna. A great many people practice waste separation. Of course, there are always some who don't care.
    On the whole, it works. :)

    Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear waste separation works in Austria 's capital.
      Thank you for sharing such information, Andrea.

      Delete
  11. Te mando un beso y te deseo un buen fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I support all efforts at recycling, like you. Almost all of our non-recycled go to waste to power in my council. But the argument has been made that there is still more work that needs to be done on the recycling side as too much of potentially recyclable waste is going to waste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. A lot of potentially recycable waste, such as paper and plastic, still goes to the landfill.

      Delete
  13. There is simply not enough industrial capacity to process waste in many countries, and in some, none at all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hola, Giorgio.
    En casa siempre reciclamos, espero que sirva de algo.
    Gracias por tu visita.
    No me salen las listas de lectura y os tengo que buscar uno a uno por otros comentarios. ¡Un rollo!
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So important. We have such a bad litter problem here in Scotland :-(

    ReplyDelete