Saturday 24 August 2024

Still among "trulli"

 

Just a few words, once again, about South Italy's dry stone huts, which I already mentioned on 11 August. 

                                         

As it is known, the walls of these buildings are painted white. That colour would help to reflect, rather than absorb, the sunrays, hence moderating the temperature inside the dry stone structure.

In addition, the small spaces between the stones of these dry stone constructions' conical rooftops maintain a natural coolness during the summer months as well as they preserve the heat during the winter.



Those examples of dry stone construction were made of roughly worked limestone boulders collected from surroundings fields.


Some of these traditional architectural structures are still actively used as guesthouses, shops and groceries, etc.


The "trullo" in the above picture hosts a restaurant where I had a delicious typical dinner. 100 Metri Cubi, that its name.  



If you were to go South Italy, you could visit that hidden gem. It is worth it. 

23 comments:

  1. ...they sure are hidden gems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually,I saw many tourists who were enjoying them.

      Delete
  2. I trulli sono abitazioni uniche,non si trovano in nessun altro posto!Saluti!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are gorgeous. I would be great to visit :-D

    Hope you are having a good weekend Giorgio. We have had plenty rain here in Scotland the last few weeks and not really had a summer. I don't think we've had 2 days in a row without rain!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... on the contrary, we (Italians) need rain. The air has been hot and moist since late July. The main problem is that Mediterranean moisture flows northward during the warm season.

      Delete
  4. Hi Giorgio!!!
    My friend, I hope you mass a good weekend?
    I just now sitting on the balcony. It's more than 20 degrees warm and I'll be sleeping on the balcony until halfway through the night :)
    Giorgio the houses that you posted pictures of are really great!!!
    Giorgio, I salute you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the climate will be less warm soon in Poland!
      Have a nice Sunday :-)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Actually, it is an unusual architectural style.

      Delete
  6. Genial lugar, me enamore de las fotos. Te mando un beso. .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Giorgio! I find Italy's dry stone huts amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the appreciation, Irina! Have a nice Sunday ☀

      Delete

  8. Ingenious construction. They are also beautifully preserved.
    I wish you a nice new week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fascinating post about the trulli!
    I love how these structures combine practicality with charm.
    It’s amazing to see such traditional architecture still serving modern purposes.
    Your post makes South Italy’s hidden gems even more tempting to explore.

    Happy Thursday, Giorgio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it's great to see that such old typical buildings are still useful for many purposes.
      You wrote nice words about that special corner of South Italy. Thanks for that!

      Delete
  10. Hello Giorgio
    I've just been catching up with this post and some of your older ones.
    I have enjoyed seeing all of your photographs and reading the information.

    As August now draws to a close, I wish you a good month of September.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete